EP.138 | Post-Workout Barbell Checklist
Do you have a Post-Workout Barbell Routine or Checklist that you run through?
I'm going to use my personal gym for this example. Our gym here in Columbus, OH has an arsenal of 27 Rogue Ohio bars with a zinc-finish.
Number of Bars: 27
Number of Classes/Day: 7
Gym Size: 100+ members
Gym Class Size: ~ 8-10
The Post-Workout Checklist
AT THE MINIMUM:
- Unload the Bar Properly. DO NOT allow the sleeves to crash into the ground while unloading. Internal hardware (washers, snap rings, etc.) may be damaged from repeated drops.
- Remove Chalk, Skin, Grime. Removing these from the knurling will help preserve the finish.
- Properly Store Bar. More than likely this is going to be a 9-Bar or Gun-rack at most gyms... ours is a 9-Bar. Carefully place the bar into the holder, DO NOT drop the bar into the holder.
- Full Exterior. Scrub, lube up, work in, wipe down.
MONTHLY OR QUARTERLY
*Subject to climate
- Full Interior / Exterior Service. Inside and out. Take care of the outside, then give the sleeves their turn. Here's how:
A GOOD RULE OF THUMB:
Spot-check your fleet. Some barbells are used more than others, thus needing extra attention. If you see a bar that needs love, take the 5 minutes to condition the steel or get it back to free-spinning. Depending on the type of finish, bars can rust very rapidly.