EP.62 | How Long it REALLY Takes to Maintain Your Barbell
How long does it REALLY TAKE to maintain your barbell(s)? Most barbell & gym owners out there think that this essential task is much more time-consuming than it really is. That being said, let's start with HOW OFTEN you need to service your bars.
How often to service your bars is one of the main questions that we receive here at Bar Shield USA. For starters, there are multiple factors to consider. Among them:
- Climate you live in
- Frequency of use
- Environment used in (i.e. climate-controlled versus exposed)
FOR EXAMPLE: Let's say you live in a moderately humid environment such as the Midwest, the 30 bars that you own are used almost daily, and your gym is NOT climate-controlled. In this scenario, a great starting point would be to fully service your bars 2-3X per month. As a DAILY measure, you must take the brief moment to remove any chalk, skin, etc. from the bar's knurling. Doing so will decrease the moisture and oxidation (aka rust) rate, ultimately INCREASING the life of your barbells.
- Grab your trusty Bar Shield NYLON brush and REMOVE the chalk, skin or whatever is on the bar's knurling.
- Chalk = Holds moisture easily, speeding up the rusting process
- Minimum of 2-3 TIMES PER MONTH... especially in the more humid months
- If you live in a more humid environment, you may need to up it to 3-4 times per month
CLEANING THE BAR'S KNURLING
- TIME ELAPSED (1 MINUTE, 18 SECONDS)... see for yourself in the video
- P.S. If you stay up on your maintenance, it gets EASIER and you'll use less Bar Shield!